Health Issues

This is the place to discuss anything.
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Health Issues

Post by Zema Bus »

I have an appointment with an ENT first of May, I should be able to have a transnasal endoscopy done at that time to finally see what's going on. I went with an ENT because that's the quickest and easiest way to get an endoscopy done, no sedatives or anesthesia needed when done transnasal since it avoids the gag reflex (unlike an EGD). After working all day I could not sit down any more without burning pain so I'm standing while using my kitchen computer. Sleep is a huge problem now, I wake up multiple times a night in pain and have to get up and take Gaviscon and slippery elm to calm it down. There is a med popular with people in my predicament that coats the esophagus to protect it from acid, but it's a prescription item. I'm going to see if I can get it without waiting a month. I started taking a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), which reduces stomach acid production. I don't want to be on it long term due to my family history of osteoporosis, plus PPI's can cause a lot of other problems. But right now I just need to make it easier for the ulcer that I think I have to heal. Hopefully it kicks in soon, maybe I'll also be able to get some sleep.
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Health Issues

Post by Grogan »

Sorry to hear it's gotten so bad. That sounds awful to have to wait that long to get anything done for something so debilitating.

Hope the PPI meds help tonight.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Thanks Grogan. I finally got some sleep last night by simply sitting upright in a non-reclined recliner. I have two recliners, I usually sleep in one that's more adjustable but less padded, while the other one is much more padded, but reclines too much for my reflux. If I'm not using the recline function it doesn't matter so I slept in the more padded one. Not ideal sleeping non-reclined but it seemed to help.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

You'd think "I can't sleep like that!" but when it's the only way, your body will take what it can get (after a few days).
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

After close to a week of taking a PPI everyday I feel a lot better, I'm not having any trouble sitting for extended periods now, and sleep is much better too. It's too bad this is a med I can only use short term because my daily reflux has been almost not noticeable. It's still there, but the acid levels are now low enough to not be so damaging when it goes where it shouldn't. On the other hand those lowered acid levels are bad for a myriad of reasons. At least I'm only taking the lower strength OTC version. The Rx version is double the strength.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

That's good to hear, I'm glad you're some relief and some rest.

Yep, you have to judge drug side effects and balance whether its worth it or not.

We actually only need a bit of stomach acid (HCl), it's an acidic environment so the digestive enzymes can work. With your overproduction, it's probably safe to take the drug.
TheeRadioDJ
Preferred Diner

Post by TheeRadioDJ »

Good to hear you've managed to get some relief. I had a heart attack in 2019, and I was suddenly put on several daily medications. One of those is Pantoprazole (Protonix). I've been taking it ever since. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2013, and haven't had any bad acid reflux since then. I'm not sure why I'm still on the PPI, but maybe it helps protect my stomach from all the other meds I take.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Thanks GK. Sorry to hear you had to go through that. My older brother had a heart attack and a coronary bypass a number of years ago.
Jan_19
Preferred Diner

Post by Jan_19 »

Damn, all I can say is it really is a bitch getting older!! Ive been saying that for 15 years now! lol Sorry to hear you are going through this, Steve. Hang in there and hopefully this too will soon pass. I too have had some health issues. Maybe another day I'll share.....in the meantime lets focus on you, Steve. It's sounds like you are on the mend.....
You Can't Sprinkle Bullshit With Sugar and Make It A Cupcake!
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Thanks Jan :)