Music we like

This is the place to discuss anything.
Forum rules
Behave
Grogan
Your Host

Music we like

Post by Grogan »

It's time for a music thread, we don't have one yet.

I'll kick this off with something I discovered randomly in the youtube feed. I'd never heard of them before. I really liked this, with little squawk box amplifiers and distortion pedals... it makes me wish I was young again. (i.e. this is like being over at your friends place with people jamming and shit). I went and found the studio version, which is more refined etc. but I don't like it as much as this one. The reason is they had to scale back what they brought for this video session.

Skeleton Krew - Morning Star ("House of Mariposa" channel)

Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Re: Music we like

Post by Zema Bus »

Not bad :)
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Here's one I recently rediscovered, I hadn't heard it in probably decades:

Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Ahh, the Doobie Brothers. I haven't heard that in a while either.
Jan_19
Preferred Diner

Post by Jan_19 »

Hey I like both of those! I'll join in and you'll probably not expect this is a song I would like, but I do. I like the video too. You'll either love it or hate it. Give it a chance, you got to give it a few seconds. See what ya think. Yayyy Yelawolf!

You Can't Sprinkle Bullshit With Sugar and Make It A Cupcake!
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

That kind of turns into like redneck rap or something :lol:

(I don't mind it)
Jan_19
Preferred Diner

Post by Jan_19 »

That's exactly right! I think that is what I like about it. I'm not a big fan of rap, in fact most of it I don't like. Some of it is ok and mixed in with the "redneck" here makes me like this song.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Different, but not bad :)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

That's what I appreciated about it, that it was different. It didn't tweak any musical emotions or anything though.

I generally don't like "Rap" EXCEPT for some of the nasty, funny rhymes. I don't care for the monotonous musical character of it, just the recitation and the beat kind of just goes along with it.

When my nephew was about 10, he said to me "I met a girl from Hawaii... I put it in her ass and she said Aieeeeee". One his friends at school was reciting that lol. Oh man, that just smashed my funny bone. That they thought up something nasty that rhymed with Hawaii. I don't know what the song is (he does) but that cracked me up, especially "out of the mouths of babes" so to speak.
Grogan
Your Host

Foxes and Fossils

Post by Grogan »

These folks are a cover band, a group of dads and their daughters (hence the name, Foxes and Fossils). They are fabulous musicians, who, in many cases reproduce the music they are doing, better than the original artists.

For example, this is the absolute best rendition of "Angel From Montgomery" that I have ever heard. The harmony is goosebump inducing.

She makes a bit of a speech about John Prine at the start, jump through it if uninterested.

The Eagles, Seven Bridges Road. I'm not an Eagles fan but that's a good song, and these people blow it right out of the water. This is just too good.

A bit more upbeat, this is an incredibly good performance of "The Go Go's - Our Lips are Sealed". It looks like an older one. The dad makes a good vocal backing in this one a bit later in the song. Wow.

They can even mimic Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

They're pretty good. I listened to the first one, I'll listen to the others later.
Jan_19
Preferred Diner

Post by Jan_19 »

Oh yeah, I like the Angel From Montgomery too! She's a cute gal with a really good voice. I have to listen to the others also later this evening.

Laughing at your nephew story. We never know what to expect from these kids..... I think that's funny too and I can see you getting a big kick out of it. :D