Btop

Discussion about web browsers, email clients, image editors, and all the other software out there
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Btop

Post by Zema Bus »

I've been hearing people rave about Btop so I finally decided to try it.

btop.jpg
btop.jpg (125.82 KiB) Viewed 300 times
The CPU temp monitor may be useful.
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Btop

Post by Grogan »

I don't use a fancy pants terminal like you, so my colours don't look quite like that (gradients etc.), but cool! Just what I needed. I'd heard of it, but nothing more and I generally use standard tools like "top" and "sensors" but I'll be able to configure this to do all of what I want in one screen. Run it when I want to watch shit, then press q just like I would with top.

Those settings menus probably save, as there's a ~/.config/btop/btop.conf with a bunch of settings with comments explaining them. I want to find polling intervals.

This is what mine looks like out of the box. I just installed the Arch package, it is a compiled program (not just a bunch of scripts), but it has no dependencies but optional use of rocm for AMD Gpu support. They wouldn't need that framework to access the sensors (lmsensors can do that, it's the amdgpu kernel driver that provides access) it must be for some gpgpu computing stats or something. I'll have to look into configuring it to present useful stats for me.
btopdefault1.jpg
btopdefault1.jpg (203.49 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I get a pretty nice display, full screen. (all cores blazing, here). Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't get this program to display any GPU info. The gpu0 device doesn't seem to exist. I installed all that rocm shit to see if that would let it display, but it still doesn't work. I guess it needs to support the card, or something (this is actually new, GPU support in this program... there used to be a separate one, btop-gpu but they are incorporating that into the official program)

That top CPU temp I have set to the coretemp package sensor, which usually reads as high as the hottest core (of which there happens to be one spiking in that snapshot). It won't let me add the PECI sensor, it doesn't use your motherboard sensor driver.

I indexed this to make a 255 colour gif... 99.7 kb file instead of 700 since it's just terminal colours anyway. (right click and view in new tab)
btopfullscreen.gif
btopfullscreen.gif (97.34 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Looks good, hopefully it gets better down the road. On my Ryzen machine it doesn't register the CPU temp (stays at 0 C) but it works on my Intel machine. I haven't played around with it yet.
Dark Angel
Master of Ceremonies

Post by Dark Angel »

Thanks for posting this, I think it's going to be my go-to system monitor

It's picking up the core temps on my Ryzen 7 without any issue. Not the GPU, but that's ok.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I gave up on the GPU, it must not support very many. Not even with my own package rolled up from current git sources. I just removed that rocm shit since it's not going to work anyway. If I try to add one to the display, it tells me that gpu0 is an invalid label or something like that.

Dumb, because amdgpu itself provides access to sensors.

Code: Select all

amdgpu-pci-0300
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:        6.00 mV 
fan1:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 3300 RPM)
edge:         +29.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +115.0°C)
junction:     +32.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +115.0°C)
mem:          +26.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +110.0°C)
PPT:           5.00 W  (cap = 186.00 W)
That's what lmsensors queries out of the box.

(I always got a chuckle out of the hysteresis value. An inappropriate Kelvin to Celcius conversion. The hysteresis is not only 0, but absolute fucking zero :lol: )