Post by Zema Bus »

An acorn drops and a cop mistakes it for gunfire and responds by firing back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBdXdAhzBg
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Cop vs Acorn

Post by Grogan »

Testicling this media embed extension I just installed:

You just have to paste the URL (I was confused by an old FAQ entry for the addon that indicated using [embed] [/embed] tags but that neither is necessary nor recognized). It's changed to [media] [/media] but it's obsoleted by an auto parse setting.

P.S. The reason your post didn't automatically display it after I installed the ext is only because it's already got the [url] tags around it from when it was submitted. The board just automatically parses the URLs from certain supported sites (youtube is one of them) and embeds them.

This is a list of supported URLs for this:
https://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io ... bed/Sites/
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I don't get how an acorn would spook a cop to start firing in a panic. There are some excitable boys that probably shouldn't have guns.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Cool!
Dark Angel
Master of Ceremonies

Post by Dark Angel »

Mike wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:19 am I don't get how an acorn would spook a cop to start firing in a panic. There are some excitable boys that probably shouldn't have guns.
PTSD can do that to you. Sounds etc that are completely innocent to anyone else can trigger an emotional cascade that makes the sufferer completely freak out and do things they wouldn't normally do. It should have been caught in the cop's psych screening and either put him in a desk job or denied entry.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

It's kind of hard to predict what a human may do with a gun. You hear about crazy shootings, like someone got their order wrong at McDonalds.
Dark Angel
Master of Ceremonies

Post by Dark Angel »

I believe the cops was a returned veteran known to have severe PTSD. How they let him into the police without a full psych clearance boggles the mind.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Well, in the U.S. ex military are a shoe-in for policing. Perfect for remorselessly treating the population as the enemy. Soldier vs. police are (should be) different mindsets.
Dark Angel
Master of Ceremonies

Post by Dark Angel »

It's an issue here in Aus as well. Ex military get preferential recruitment for the police when really they should be excluded unless they can get through a rigorous psych evaluation to prove they're not just going to kick in doors and start shooting like they're trained to do when breaching in the army. We had a guy some years back that got his mouth shot off, literally, when the Special Operations Group in Victoria started firing through his door at 2am because he hadn't answered it fast enough for their liking. They were at the wrong address.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Wow, that's bad. I didn't know you had cops like that there too. We generally don't (they wouldn't be for long... they'd be in prison if they fired through a doorway like that). Most police here have University degrees. It's not a requirement, but most do before they go off to police academies.

I was just reading yesterday about some Toronto police officers that arrested and roughed up and tased the wrong guy, on his way to University. He was a black kid too, which is going to be trouble for the dept. It was deemed excessive force and bad conduct. At the very least they will be fired.
Dark Angel
Master of Ceremonies

Post by Dark Angel »

Oh they have degrees here as well, the state training academy is a comfortable motorcycle ride from where I live and I did part of the detective's course in my undergraduate IT degree (forensic science), but that far-right jack-boot bullshit runs deep in many law enforcement agencies around the world. Some are better than others of course, and the more training police get the better they seem to be. When you're part of certain population sub-groups (I'm a motorcyclist, my brother in law was a tattooist and mixed up with a 1% group, and my father I mentioned before was a Hells Angel back in the 1960s and 70s) you start to see how reactionary cops can be without provocation. If they'd only had the six weeks training that a lot of 'Murican cops get things would be SO much worse.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Yeah, I had various "associations" that put me at odds with the police in the past. That's all gone now though, I've nothing to be adversarial about. Also, the cops in this town are very nice, I think it's a requirement now. Our Provincial police (OPP) are very professional, you wouldn't likely have problems with them beyond being charged when enforcing the law. It's a larger organization though, and it wouldn't be without its pricks.

I'd like the criminology stuff, but I'm not the kind of guy for the job.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Turkeys vs cops :)

Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Turkeys are funny, but they'll beat the shit out of you. If I was those cops I'd billy club the fucking thing (wouldn't want to pull gun and shoot it in residential neighbourhood probably... though this is America lol). It's all fun and games until you get hit on the shin with a wing and raked with a claw.

I knew a guy that got hit by a turkey on his bike, on the highway. It exploded against his chest and he got turkey guts on his face. He didn't lose control of the bike, but he broke ribs.