Gathering parts for new build

General hardware discussion.
Forum rules
Behave
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Gathering parts for new build

Post by Grogan »

There was one left in stock (Amazon Prime). I should have that Antec High Current Gamer Gold Series-HCG1000 PSU tomorrow. I should have the ID-COOLING SE-224-XTS Black CPU Cooler by Thursday, but the red Fractal Design case is coming from some Deal Targets seller, estimated delivery March 11 (Monday).

So, I still have to make a decision on whether I'm keeping my video card and monitor, or getting new ones (the video card will necessitate a display because this ViewSonic doesn't like its HDMI interface, at least on the last 3 video cards I've had. Always quirks, so I use it on DVI)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Also, when I said they could pry this IBM clickey clack keyboard from my stiff, dead, fingers I meant it.

StarTech. USB to PS/2 Adapter
https://www.amazon.ca/Startech-USBPS2PC ... 00028OP2Y/

That's an "active" adapter (converter) that translates the i/o. The keyboard doesn't have to have the logic.

I don't see a ps/2 port listed anywhere in the motherboard specs, so I'm going to need something like that. My nephew's board has one. (they autodetect mouse or keyboard and assign legacy IRQ etc. appropriately)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

It looks like Newegg has a better selection of video cards. I just looked at their (U.S.) reseller rating and it's very high (4.97/5 in the last 6 months)

It's Assrock, and it's only a 12 Gb model, but I can live with the $469.99 CAD cost of that one.

ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Gaming Graphic Card, 12GB GDDR6 VRAM, AMD RDNA2 (RX6700XT CLD 12G)
https://www.newegg.ca/asrock-radeon-rx- ... 6814930056
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

That looks like a good one if available. EVGA is another brand I've had good luck with, I've been using some of their 500 - 600W models and they work well.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Everything is on the way now. I ordered the Asrock card from Newegg, and the 27 inch Scepter monitor from Amazon, with a displayport cable (never used that before, but we'll give it a whirl)

I decided to go to the bank today and secure some more funding for this project, it was time to get this show on the road. Now I just have to wait for all the stuff.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

I missed your posts on the 2nd page when I posted, glad you got everything figured out. Asrock is what my card is too, an RX 6750 12 GB.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Shit... I'm just now noticing that I have to buy a rear case fan, the case I ordered doesn't come with one. Of all the chintzy things...

I dislike ordering fans, I never know if they are going to work out until I see them. Maybe I'll just steal one from something else. Enough knick knacks, not one more dollar :lol:
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Jeeze, I got the Fractal Design case already, via FedEx (which likely means it came from the U.S.). That was going to be the likely part that was going to hold everything up.

Seeing as I have it now, I'm going to measure the holes for the fan and just go buy one. I have to go get my Dad a new cordless mouse for his laptop, ASAP. It failed about 6 AM just when I was heading off to bed "Michael...". The left click stopped working. Bloody logitech, that mouse was rarely used before I gave it to him. I only used it occasionally while sitting in my recliner to operate my screen. He's not rough with things either. You buy logitech for quality, but it's not anymore and their shitware sucks (doesn't matter to us, but Windows pulls that shit in).

P.S. Amazon sure likes to waste shipping, sending things one at a time even when they are sold and shipped by them coming from the same dist. I'd bet money that it's on the backs of their contracted courier ("Intelcom" here) not their expense. It's how Amazon operates. They make the money, everyone else does the work.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Alright, I bought a fan doohickey

https://www.antec.com/product/cooling/prizm-120-argb

It just happened to be sitting on a shelf at the store (that isn't afraid to stock things even if they don't sell for 10 years) and it's the (standard) measurements I need. It's PWM controllable, so I can adjust the RPM behaviour (e.g. with lmsensors' fancontrol... assuming I'll have sensor support for this motherboard. Probably so). I really won't know much until I see my first dmesg and lspci with a distro kernel. This'll be the one time I'll need one.

I don't like pulsating RGB and don't have a controller, so it might be ultra annoying constant pulsations if I connect the 3 pin to my motherboard. I'll see what it does first but I would anticipate yanking it when the novelty wears off. I hope I can disable lights on the front of that case somehow too when I get tired of it.

I don't know if that's a front or back fan (I'm a rookie when it comes to buying fans) but it's designed so it can be turned around :lol:
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

So another courier or two came, I've got the Antec power supply, the displayport cable, and even the video card from Newegg. Still awaiting the CPU cooler and display.

It's the CPU cooler that will prevent me from getting started though but hopefully soon.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Almost there :)

I have some similar Antec fans. If it allows you to set it to a single static color it can look nice. Just remember the air direction is from the blade side of the fan towards the motor side. Did you get thermal paste, or are you going to use the paste that comes with the cooler?
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I've still got some Arctic Silver 5 that I was planning on using. That works well, and it's easy to clean up when redoing (and doesn't harden).

I won't be able to adjust the RGB output because I don't have an RGB controller, just the power pins on the board. So whatever that thing does by default, it'll be getting 5V to do it with. There will be no modulation.

So then, the label side of the fan will be on the outside of the case, and the side with the Antec logo will be inside the case. That's how I thought this was going to work, but still not sure. I can always turn it around, but it would be better to get it right the first time.
antecfan.jpg
antecfan.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I was all oboyoboyoboy when two packages came, but it was the keyboard converter and the Sceptre monitor. The key thing is the CPU cooler :cry:

It has arrived at "the Amazon facility" (fulfilled by Amazon I guess) and should be out for delivery tomorrow and arrive before 8 PM, so probably this time tomorrow.

In the mean time I'm going to start putting the RAM on the board (rather do that before backing plate anyway so the board can be completely flat) and start scoping out the connections. I don't think I'll even so much as remove the socket protection cap from the motherboard until I'm ready to install both the CPU and the heatsink. Well, I guess I'll remove it to inspect it with a magnifying glass as the first order of business then put it back. No sense even touching the board if there is any visible defect in the socket pins out of the box. It used to be hard to damage an Intel ZIF socket but there is zero forgiveness now.

For example in the old days (current days for me with my hardware) I'd mash the heatsink a bit to get rid of bubbles when fastening. Now... the slightest bit of play in your socket can ruin the pins if you do that.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I started working on the case, might as well get that rear fan put on. Shit like that is easier to do in an empty case too and it's something more irritating to do in a rush later (have to tap the screws in straight and stress free etc. so you don't wreck the plastic)

One thing that gives me some more room to work in that case is removing the bottom HDD bay altogether. I'm not going to be mounting any SATA drives in there. I noticed that's a pretty shitty drive bay assembly in that case. Fairly flimsy metal (but fastened down OK) and really flimsy plastic drive mounting rails. Those are for 2.5 inch drives, but are so flimsy that I'd only think it practical for SSD's. You'd mount 3.5 inch mechanical drives without the rails, but I probably wouldn't like to have some 10,000 RPM drive mounted on that frame.

Actually looking at those rails again, you'd still need to use them for 3.5 inch drives. Fastened to the sides for 3.5 with pins that go in the screw holes (with opportunities to fasten screws to the drive in a few places), fastened to the bottom for 2.5 with screws.

I'm not going to install the SATA DVD writer up top until I need it. The first time I need to burn a disk or something in the new PC, I'll do it. I have a new one sitting in the closet, I bought it while I could still get one that wasn't Blu-ray.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Well, I have moved my beloved over to the other desk, and the NVME drive has been removed. So there will be no more gaming for me for a few nights probably, The game will be getting to that point (I'll probably get to the point where I can test a game or two but I won't be playing with all the shit I have to sort. I can probably take some shortcuts like installing some of my packages. (nehalem will be better than their generic x86_64 anyway lol)

Not only were my games on the NVME, but I lost the firefox build I did the other night. The ONE time muggins forgot to tar it up lol. I'll get it back once I get the new rig up and running, but I had to go back to my firefox-123.0 build for now, which necessitated post mortem profile reconnecting. It still worked when forced in the .ini files.

Anyway, parts are all here and I can start in earnest now that I'm functional on this desk. I have to get a new UPS again now though. The one for this desk won't start up now. It's an old CyberPower and bites the weenie anyway (doesn't like the generator... the newer models are fine)

Anyway, enough being a drama queen. I don't do this shit very often. Well, actually this is probably the first time I've ordered ALL the parts from scratch and had them delivered.

To work!
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Have fun! :)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Well, I'm in the bios, and I've never seen a bios screen so big and in my face (huge monitor). Since I'm only connected to the display port on the video card, it means the video card is working. (that didn't seem to seat very tightly, I almost thought it wasn't in)

I made one mistake. I had it all together, everything done right and I hooked it up, sat my ass down (confidence lol and nothing.

To make a longer story short, I (tried to) connect the wrong PSU connector to the 8 pin CPU power. It's kind of a weird power supply, everything says ("PCI-E or CPU"). So I missed that one of the cables in the box said "CPU" and not "PCI-E". It was a six pin with the 2 pin split off. The CPU connector was two 4 pin splits. What I did was, I didn't have it pushed in all the way (I did the 6 pin part first and it fit, but the 2 pin was like square peg in round hole and I didn't notice).

The bummer is that I yanked the whole JFP1 block because I thought I had the power switch connected wrong. I then connected just the switch test. So I've got to go back and reconnect the power light (two separate single pin for + and -) and the "hdd light" which is also two separate single pins. That's a bitch with the board in the case and my back fuckin hurts. I DID have that stuff correct, I just panicked and yanked it all lol

So... I actually DO have a CSM mode here. Oh well, I have prepared myself for UEFI now, so that's the deal.

I'm going to get some shit sorted in the bios and then see if I can actually boot an OS (from my stick)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I wouldn't have thought so last night while I was cursing with that small case and the bootloader fuckery, but really I did OK. I went from parts in the boxes yesterday, to gaming on Arch with a custom kernel and a new mesa build by supper time today :-)
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

It's like bringing a new life into the world :)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Just for a test of course, in the interests of science :roll:

Nekkid lady pictures look good on this monitor too (big boobalicious :lol: )
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

lol!
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

So, in the end I decided that PS/2 to USB converter needed to get the Hell off my USB bus. It was causing latency issues with USB input. It wasn't bothering me gaming, but I'm a fairly fast typer and it was causing some glitchy missed keystroke behaviour and causing mouse latency warnings on the root console (highly throttled by rate limiting, but still I don't want to see noise). Something like "MSI mouse: your device is lagging behind by 26 ms..." when it happens. (and that's gone now)

When you think about it, what are you doing? Taking a device that was meant to use a hard wired, legacy interrupt (IRQ 1, that can't be shared or virtualized with an interrupt controller) and sticking it on your USB controller with everything else that has to share busses, and translating the logic and i/o

My beloved IBM Clickety Clack PS/2 keyboard can take its rightful place back at the old computer, that has a bonerfide PS/2 keyboard port.