Ai Squared ZoomText keyboard

General hardware discussion.
Forum rules
Behave
Grogan
Your Host

Ai Squared ZoomText keyboard

Post by Grogan »

Oh, my luck! I haven't seen one of these since the early 2000's, I used to have some customers with bad eyesight that had them. I went to a local computer store that tends to have just what I need, and I'm going through shelves of keyboards, logitech, verbatim, microsoft, unheard of brands... all mostly cordless combo sets. Then, I pick up a dusty old box and it's this, from like 2005. They don't make them like this anymore.

Is it as nice as the 1986 IBM clickety clack keyboard it's replacing? No, it doesn't have feedback as nice as that but it is a relatively deep stroke mechanical type and it's well constructed. These are nice to type on. I sit in dim background light (with aging eyes) and while I'm mostly a touch typer, I'm not always sitting right and I have to take quick glances to orient or I'll type pablum. This isn't lighting (I don't like illuminated keyboards), it's just big keys with bold symbols.

I don't give a rat's ass about those Windows software function keys up at the top. I'll never program or touch them. They are completely ignorable up there. (I use Linux)

a2zoomtextkbd.jpg
a2zoomtextkbd.jpg (150.55 KiB) Viewed 175 times
P.S. I take shit pictures
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Re: Ai Squared ZoomText keyboard

Post by Zema Bus »

Nice! Just needs a couple penguin stickers to cover up the Windows logos :)
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I'm scared to press those Windows keys lol

"I pressed the Windows key on my Linux computer and Satya Nadella popped out all booga booga"
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

ehh... one thing that's fucking me up on this keyboard is that the "\ |" key (forward slash and pipe) is in a different place. On a "standard" keyboard, that's above the enter key and on this one it's down beside the right Shift key. The reason will be because they wanted to make a huge Enter key (and it is! Can't really see it in the picture because it's all black but it's a big L shaped one)

I didn't realize that disconnect until I started editing code. I'm not sure I want to get used to that, because it's non standard (I don't mean this is the only one I've ever seen like that, just that you don't see it often on a desktop keyboard). This is a good keyboard for typing fast (because of the large keys, not so much the stroke), until I hit something like that lol

Hell, I'm such a dinosaur.