Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Games and gaming tweaks
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Post by Zema Bus »

Was going to post on BBF but it's down again.

This dog came up to me wagging his tail, and then he was following me around. Never had that happen before in this game. When I was doing some climbing he finally wandered off. I came to the coastline of an island and noticed some snow capped mountains in the distance. I had to go climb that mountain up to the snow line. So I took the ship over there and docked it as close as I could, then traveled the rest of the way by land, steering clear of any enemies since they were significantly higher leveled. I didn't get very far up the mountain when I encountered a black translucent vibrating impenetrable wall and a message saying "Area Unavailable". I couldn't even send my eagle over it. Near as I could tell from a search that is because that area contains story line stuff I'm not supposed to see yet. I'm level 17 now, I'm finally back to progressing through the story after a few weeks of messing around on an island.
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Post by Grogan »

That's just the edge of the map area, you can't go past that point. Sometimes you run into that in open world games when following that kind of HUD waypoint, you can't go in that direction it happily led you to (your waypoint will be on the other side of that and in a bit, or something or you have to find some entrance etc. or those mountains are simply not traversable and you have to approach from the other side)

I ran into that in Elysium, there was a cave I had to find. It looked like it was up on the plateau, but it was down a bit on a ledge. I ran into that area unavailable veil and couldn't go any further, I had to go find a place where I could jump down, where there was a ledge within the world area.

I don't think there are any areas like that in the game, you can go everywhere (in the first playthrough high level enemies might be an obstacle). If it was a locked area you'd find a big stone gate or something you can't open yet because you don't have the artifact etc.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I am in the Underworld now, with Hades. Belching volcanoes and hazy air. I got so much XP at the end of the Elysium part, it leveled me up again before I have resources to upgrade my gear (obsidian glass is the problem) :?

Level 92 now, it caps out at 99. I'll be there before I finish all the Atlantis DLC. (After the Underworld, part 3 is Atlantis).

It looks like level 91 is the one where the built-in engravings on gear max out (dots on both sides of the icon). For example, 30% Sword Damage at level 91.

P.S. I'm going to have to add some fucking smilies, these ones suck.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I ended up fast traveling back to Greece for a few nights of "farming". It's really expensive to upgrade gear at high levels and my armor got several levels old. Now some of my shit is going to cost like 2500 obsidian glass (I've got lots of everything else including money) to get it up to current level.

In Greece, you can keep going around and weakening nations and triggering Conquest battles. Those are super easy to get lots of XP and some obsidian glass, just run around and kill captains that appear as you pan around the battlefield. Just going around to forts, even if you've already done them, you get gear from looting corpses, which can be broken down for resources. Some of the high level purple stuff now is giving me like 80 obsidian glass.

My nephew showed me a fort that always respawns the leader and the nation chest. I think it's in Achaia... Olouros Fortress (Erymanthos Peaks) but I'm not sure. I tried to find it last night but I haven't got it discovered yet. It's one of those "I'll know the name when I see it" things. That's why I think it's Olouros.

Unfortunately it won't let you sell or break down legendary, or special gear (some blue and purple). That stuff can be stashed in the chest on the ship though, it's no good to me if I'm never going to use it. I already have my legendary gear, and "Demi God" armor set from Deimos after you pacify him (which has good bonuses, and equipping the whole set gives +30% damage bonus to all abilities). There are other armor sets, probably the other most useful one would be the "Immortal" armor set (you get that one from killing all cultists) which gives you a free death (with 120 sec recharge time). I don't die very often, so I would rather have the ability damage bonus.

While I do that shit, going around to question marks on the map and killing and looting etc. I sometimes pick up quest items that complete quests, and when that happens, it automatically takes the quest and all you have to do is go turn it in. The only ones that don't is if you've only found part of the quest and haven't done the first part or something. I had one like that too last night, I took the quest and did the first part, then found I already had the shield I was supposed to go and fetch next and it completed the quest.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

In case your life isn't hellish enough, this is the Underworld, where normal, unheroic people go :twisted:

Also, I don't think I've ever posted a picture attachment here. So here goes. I probably have to go and adjust prudish settings first lol
odyssey_underworld.jpg
odyssey_underworld.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Actually not a bad attachment upload interface. It just went ahead and did it, because the colour palette there is dismal and it was within the 256 kb limit (which I may have set, I don't remember). It scaled the image down to a decent size, but the image data is still there if right clicked and viewed in new tab.

I'm going to up the file size.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

Yeah that's definitely a different look lol!
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Well, I broke level 99 last night, in Atlantis (the third part of the "Fate of Atlantis DLC that takes you to Elysium, The Underworld and Atlantis). Now that I have my 3 weapons up to 99 (and if I get one I want to use at the Atlantean Forge it'll be 99), I won't have to upgrade them anymore and I'll be able to get enough Obsidian Glass to get my armor pieces all up to 99. Upgrading gear got really expensive in the level 90's, to the point that I had to go back to Greece and farm and break down gear to get Obsidian. That caused my armor to get several levels old. I got it almost caught up and by that time it was old again lol. Also, I can put some of the final upgrades on my ship. The last notches are too onerous, but without having to upgrade gear I'll have lots of money and resources. I still have side quests and DLC (if I want to do it) in the main game.

Imagine the ultra badass I'll be starting another New Game+ with everything maxed out. I'll keep getting skill points from tombs, statues of Persephone, tartarus rifts, Atlantis Isu data caches etc. and keep putting them in Mastery Levels :twisted:
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Life is not over at level 99. I noticed an XP bar, but didn't know what was going to happen when it filled. I've seen games give you one more bar and then stop.

But this one keeps giving you skill points. It calls it "Mastery Levels" now, like what you already get post level 50 to put skill points in bonuses for just about every skill and some of the bonuses on the engravings. Each category has a lot of bonuses, each taking 20 skill points to max out. So there are literally thousands more skill points that can go into things. There are also many more skills I could enable, but I don't because I only use a few.

That's even smarter than the Borderlands formula. This is almost never ending, you could keep doing newgame+ after newgame+ for years and still have dopamine reward incentives. I've got 360 hours into Assassin's Creed Odyssey so far.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

So the other night I played Odyssey because I couldn't play the games I'm currently most interested in. I found, oddly, that Odyssey ran shittier on this computer with the RX 570 card, vs. the old computer. I hadn't even changed any of the settings because I only briefly tested it on the new rig (I had a few things cut down to "High"). I found it got a bit better with vsync turned off, but definitely poorer than I remember it (and as I said, I only briefly tested it on the new rig so I hadn't gotten used to it being better etc.)

I noticed nothing of the sort with the other games I tried with the RX 570 in this rig, moreover, even stupid shit like Unity (and the non-stupid-shit Kona 2 game, I love it, but it's a bit too ambitious for that engine!) performed great because Unity is CPU bound.

Anyway, that renewed my interest in the game. I forgot to go kill the "golden chicken" to get the $500,000 golden egg so I portaled back to Atlantis (a heavy area of the game... wondrous DLC) and got more into the graphics settings. I found it has its own refresh rate setting (it gets my display info correctly... "Sceptre M2" with all the correct supported modes and calls that "(Native)"). So 165Hz, vsync off, all settings maxed (except I don't want anything like adaptive antialiasing... I don't EVER want quality cut to appease frame rates, and I don't ever want those cheap resolution scaling techniques like FidelityFXery. I want quality. I'm low res anyway (this display is 1920x1080... it's what I'm used to and what I like and good for aging eyes. That's one thing that really sold me on this display). Beautiful and smooth now.

I sold my $500,000 egg and started a New Game+ again with my current character. I'm starting at level 99 and will keep getting skill points to put in the Mastery skill bonuses as I enjoy this game yet again. I won't have to upgrade my weapons anymore, so the Obsidian Glass (the rare item I have the most trouble with because I like to keep my gear level fresh) can go to upgrading my armor now. I wasn't able to keep up, my chest piece and skirt (the most major pieces of armor) are level 92 and tough enemies (like in Atlantis, the 95+ Isu warriors) were getting hurty. The armor set ("Demigod" set from Deimos) is part of my workflow, it gives me +30% damage for all Abilities in addition to other bonii that I rely on. So I can't just swap it out.

This is going to be great, I'll be able to get every stat maxed out. Eventually the top tier of very expensive upgrades for all the ship related things too. (thousands of Obsidian Glass, hundreds of thousands of Drachmae etc.)

P.S. On a New Game+ there is no consequence to killing those first thugs (from "Cyclops") at the beginning of the game. No warning and it doesn't change the outcome of mercenaries dogging you. They didn't know what hit them. I'm a fairly immersed player, so getting punched in the nose makes me vengeful :evil: