Speaking Of BIOS Updates..

General hardware discussion.
Forum rules
Behave
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Speaking Of BIOS Updates..

Post by Zema Bus »

After finishing with work tonight I let "my" work Windows 10 laptop update itself (I always wait until the end of the week). I thought it was just going to be routine Windows updates so I got it going and walked away. I walked by later and noticed the laptop screen was bright white, I'd never seen it do that before. Turns out it was flashing it's own bios and updating firmware.
worklaptopUpdates1.jpg
worklaptopUpdates1.jpg (215.34 KiB) Viewed 298 times

worklaptopUpdates0.jpg
worklaptopUpdates0.jpg (72.24 KiB) Viewed 298 times
The first thing I thought of was that if this automated flash goes horribly wrong I'm going to have a bad week to look forward to lol! It finally finished and after it rebooted I put things back how they're supposed to be for my workflow..and then it want's to install updates AGAIN! This time it was the actual Windows updates.
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Speaking Of BIOS Updates..

Post by Grogan »

That sounds like the vendor submitted shit to Windows Update for that, but boards nowadays can drop a driver on your windows filesystem, which executes an updater. I had such a setting in my new BIOS and I disabled it (though that wouldn't be able to do anything to a Linux filesystem I wouldn't think, but still that gives me the creeps to the point of fight or flight). That's like rootkit behaviour (though it would be a signed driver and allowed)

That is completely inappropriate. That setting should be looked for, and disabled wherever it exists.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

In the case of this laptop unfortunately it's too locked down for users to access anything outside of user space including the bios.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Speaking of BIOS updates, there is one haunting thought I had, that I meant to share with you.

It may be a good thing that I bought an alderlake CPU that was a little behind the curve. Think of it like this. I buy a motherboard, having no idea that it's older stock and has a BIOS from Jan. 2021. Buy handy dandy CPU that is expected to work in that board, and find that you don't have the microcode to run it :o

When I bought my last board, my nehalem Corei7 was going to be a newer stepping, and I specifically chose that Gigabyte board ($400 expensive one with half the shit on it turned off because I don't use it lol) because it specifically listed that CPU.

It can be the chicken before the egg.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

I've had to have older CPU's installed on boards just long enough to flash the BIOS so that it supported the newer one I wanted to use. It helps when you have something lying around to do that with (AMD tends to stick with the same socket for multiple generations) but it's a problem when you don't. Some of the newer boards have the ability to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed, so that would be one way of doing it, but I wouldn't like flashing a BIOS blind.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I'd be dead if that happened. I'd probably send the board back and buy another one if it did.

(Mine was fine, but probably needed that BIOS update for proper control. Why I said it was haunting is, I didn't even think of that this time, I just assumed "modern MSI board, modern CPUs" thinking the board would have a current bios. That's the problem buying from big retailers like Amazon)
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

In this case it was the first gen processor for this socket with the board introduced around the same time, but when I'm not sure I'll look up the specs for a board I'm considering to see what processor series it supports.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I knew that it did support the series (so probably would at least boot up with all models) but not all 12th gen alderlakes are the same.