Amazon return

General hardware discussion.
Forum rules
Behave
Grogan
Your Host

Amazon return

Post by Grogan »

It looks like Amazon is THE place to buy hardware. I've been happy with the shipping (I'd say exemplary for around here) but the return procedure has gotten so easy I'm gobsmacked. I was going to just initiate an RMA and probably procrastinate for a day or two as I'm wont to do but it was so easy I went and did it immediately.

Really, that's easier than taking something back to a store and explaining/arguing.

Bring a QR code to any official Purolator (our fastest, most expensive courier) depot and they'll handle all of it. You don't even have to box it, just "bring the item" and scan the QR code. I already had it ready in the shipping carton with packing materials, I just hadn't closed the box yet, so I went upstairs and printed the QR code and brought it in just like that. It cost me nothing, and I even got my scrap sheet of paper back :-)

Now, because this isn't an item that's in stock or will ever be again (not a popular unit) the only option was "refund to Visa". Curiously, no option for an Amazon store credit (which is what I'd have chosen, I need a new UPS for the other desk anyway). I'll bet they changed that, because they get their merchant fees back that way or something.

I would anticipate that Amazon just ships things back for credit and because they have clout, it'll just end up back at Antec (or if there's a third party involved maybe reconditioning to sell to some other chump)

That was not a very good PSU, I don't feel dishonest about returning it. It "works", but precision matters more now with modern hardware. I think that unit is defective by design, at the very least.

P.S. I once had a job processing vacuum/extractor/carpet sweeper unit returns. Bissell had a plant in our town and that was my first job there.

The units would come back so full of dirt that they couldn't work anymore. Obviously the customer used the shit out of them and they worked. So I was denying those returns, "used, pans dirty, damaged by customer" etc. Suddenly, the CEO of the Canadian division in the Niagara Falls office called to talk to $8/hour me and gave me shit. You don't ever deny a return from these big box retailers. Boy... that was a lesson. I thought I was doing my job. Any job I take I try to do the best I can. I actually liked that job, because I also reconditioned units. Some of them could be sold as "seconds" and others we sold at company yard sales (and we used the money for an employee fund). I also made a few genetic monstrosities from parts that were pretty cool :lol:
Grogan
Your Host

Re: Amazon return

Post by Grogan »

... and about 8 hours later, this came:
We've issued your refund for the item below. Your return is now complete*.

View return & refund status :

Item details:
High Current Gamer Gold...

Refund total: CDN$ 203.34**
Refund will appear on your Visa in 2-4 business days.

* This is an advanced refund. If we don't receive the item listed above, we may charge your original payment method.
That's unreal.
Zema Bus
Your Co-Host

Post by Zema Bus »

I returned something to Amazon not long ago for a cross shipment replacement, they shipped the replacement almost right away, well before my return arrived there (here returns go to Las Vegas).
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

Well, they win. Amazon comes at a human cost (and I hate that about them) but there's no better service than that and I'd be an idiot not to use them. The Prime membership fees are chicken feed too, if you buy a lot of stuff.
Grogan
Your Host

Post by Grogan »

I'll post this here because it's somewhat related. I went in to update my credit card info at Amazon Prime, so they wouldn't miss a payment. They automatically updated to my new expiry date (and won't actually let me in there to see the settings, I'd have to add a new card and remove that one). I don't mind, it was exactly what I was going to do anyway (and I never want a pre-auth payment to fail because of expiry date) but I don't get how they can do that. What good is an expiry date if some company has privilege to automatically update it, or ignore the CCV security number change (that one is more lax than expiry date though).

I have to update my expiry date with every service I have pre-auth payments with (some of them I have to phone to do it), but somehow Amazon is just able to update that. I only activated the new card a few days ago too.

Anyway, I'm pleased enough with Amazon to change to yearly billing. $99/year vs. 119.88. I also don't mind because you're not locked in, if you cancel you get a refund on remaining unused time.

I don't think Prime makes a lot of difference for us in terms of shipping here, it's the same contracted courier and delivery times. However, I do get deals and free shipping on things there might otherwise be fees on. Also, free games if I cared to check out monthly offerings. I just did and I could get "Bus Simulator 21" for free! Imagine the thrill of following a bus route and picking up passengers. I can't wait :roll: